Some collections of posts that stand out, organised for your reading pleasure.
The criteria for a notable post is almost but not quite entirely arbitrary. Basically, if I get the impression that lots of people enjoyed reading something, or if it comes up a lot in search results, or if I just really like it, I’ll put it here.
- Password strength
Thoughts on passwords and passphrases.
- Iji: a subjective experience
Some not unbiased words about violence and my favourite game.
- Writing software
A whole bunch of different programs for writing, their strengths and weaknesses, and which one I feel to be the overall winner.
- Notes on HP Lovecraft and suspension of disbelief
Why I like HP Lovecraft's work in a broad sense but wouldn't voluntarily reread any of it.
- Scraping Facebook for fun and profit
The post-mortem of a Facebook anonymous crush page searching website I made with a friend.
- Game pricing
Some opinions and meta-opinions about indie game prices and value as applied to games.
- [s4s] and internet memes
Why 4chan's [s4s] is the end-game of the internet.
- Goodnight, sweet prince
Thoughts on the discontinuation of support for Windows XP and where users can go from there.
Tutorials and snippets
I occasionally write tutorials on various technical things such as programming, hacking and Linux setup.
- [Linux] Setting up GPU passthrough to game on a Windows VM
- [LaTeX] Writing a LaTeX macro that takes a variable number of arguments
- [Linux] Showing the current Google Music song in conky
- [GameMaker: Studio] Using Git version control for your GameMaker: Studio projects
- [Ruby] Directory persistence hack for webshells
- [Linux] Encrypting a second hard drive on Ubuntu (post-install)
- [Transact SQL] Select only nth row in T-SQL (pre-2012)
- [Linux] Setting up a UniFi controller on CentOS with SELinux
- [Ruby] Automated file upload in Ruby with Net::HTTP and MultipartBody
I review books, games, webcomics, and potentially other stuff. I don’t give out numerical scores.
- The Magic Circle
- Life is Strange
- Out There Ω
- Her Story
- Blackwell Epiphany
- To the Moon